It is the mission of The Church of Truth™
- To free people of all faiths from the tyranny of their religion
- To stamp out the ignorance that leads to the tyranny of religion.
- To reveal universal truths supported by irrefutable evidence.
- To free people from the articles of “faith” that prevent them from seeing the truth.
- To teach people that Mark Twain was right:
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from “authorities” who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
From his Autobiography published in 2010, exactly 100 years after his death.
Living in the midst of a people who see the Bible as above reproach and then mistreat others based on its prejudices, the mission takes on a new urgency.
Why Are We Doing This?
We know that we can’t change the minds of those who will not think or reason about religion. Our target audience is those who are “searching”, those who are undecided.
Perhaps the truth can keep people from…
- Abandoning critical thinking, being ignorant about scientific facts
- The creation of the cosmos.
- The age of the earth, basic geology.
- Darwin’s discovery of how we came to be.
- Swallowing, without question, the ridiculous assertions (e.g. sun stood still for 24 hours to let Joshua kill more people) that are in the Bible.
- Trying to impose religious ideology on us through changing federal law
- Trying to pass a constitutional amendment that outlaws abortion (e.g. Paul Ryan, VP candidate on Romney ticket (2012).
- Changing the definition of “life”.
- Banning Gay Marriage
- Preventing research in promising medical advancement; e.g. stem cells, cloning
- Defunding agencies that do real and permanent good (e.g. Planned Parenthood) because of perceived violations of religious dogma.
- Trying to impose religious ideology on us through changing state laws
- Creationists assail school boards to “teach the controversy” (Evolution vs Genesis 1).
Creationism Whistleblower: ‘Academic Freedom’ Is Sneak Attack on Evolution
- Prayer in school, placement of Lord’s Prayer in public areas, Xmas displays in public places
- Changing the state laws wrt abortion “Legislators seek new abortion restrictions“.
- Attributing anecdotal, chance events to answered prayer while ignoring all horrible things prayer could have prevented.
The Tyranny of Religion
- Causes people to commit hideous atrocities in “defense” of their faith. No need for examples. You know what I mean here.1
- Ignorance brought on by fear that knowledge of basic scientific facts will undermine your faith.
- The fear that you spend eternity in torture if you don’t believe.
The mindless adherence to meaningless religious dogma – example… Xians terminate bingo game
The need to support ridiculous positions in order to maintain the “integrity” of your belief system.
- Living with ridiculous “laws” that you cannot support.
- Having to do things you don’t want to do, but have to because of your “faith”.
- The perception that God is punishing you for some reason you can’t figure out.
- Struggle because of conflicting ideas with your religious tradition or your family.
- Perceived religious transgressions which can cause emotional and psychological anguish.
- Seeing the world in only two categories – believers and non-believers,
- Stunted intellectual growth or learning, because anything that doesn’t fit within the belief system is rejected as unwholesome or evil.
- “Living for Christ”
- Hiding one’s homosexual orientation while in a Christian or Muslim relationship.
- Having to denounce homosexual human beings.
- Being fearful of being seen to be doing something that is “wrong”; according to the bible.
- The terror of believing that you may have to kill your own son (al la Abraham) in order to please God.
- Having to kill those who don’t believe as you do. For example, the Shiites and the Sunnis killing each other over who is the rightful descendent of the prophet esince the seventh century.
- it closes one’s mind drastically, making one see the world in black and white, ignoring the real complexity and diversity of the world.
- It gives the believer a mentality that puts everyone in the world into two categories – believers and non-believers, or the light vs. the dark.
- It stunts any intellectual growth or learning, because anything that doesn’t fit within the belief system is rejected as unwholesome or evil. In addition, this also leads to the inability to relate to those who don’t share your belief system, thus alienating them from you.
- “Indeed, by overgeneralizing and not questioning assumptions and definitions, entire systems of thought can inadequately describe the world and fail to do justice to its complexity. Perhaps the most tragic example of oversimplified thought is Naziism, which relied on uncritical definitions of Jews and the uncritical acceptance of the idea of the Germans‟ being a chosen people.”
Educate Yourself…The Truth Will Set You Free
- Don’t Believe Everything You Think about religion; use your mind and intelligence to explore reality unfettered by “belief”.
- Accept advances in medicine and medical research; e.g. stem cell research, morning-after pill,
- Live for yourself rather than some imaginary figure.
- Live a life unencumbered by the threat of hell or the vision of heaven.
Help us to eliminate nonsense like this…
BEIRUT (AP) — An Islamic State fighter shot and killed his own mother before onlookers at a public square in the Syrian city of Raqqa after he was told that she was not a true believer.